Sunday 1 January 2006

Sweet Spicy Pecans

Sweet Spicy Pecans
It's that time again when I'm cleaning up my kitchen cupboards and found packets of half-used ingredients about to expire in the coming days or weeks. So the current mode is find recipes for these ingredients instead of the other way around. As expected from a nut lover like me, there are several unopened bags of pecans expiring this month. And first thing I thought of is this great recipe that I found from Epicurious, which I discovered by way of a waldorf salad recipe in the same website. I ended up keeping the moreish 'budbud' or garnish instead of the salad.

This is great munched with cold alcoholic drinks or whichever drink you fancy. I have to warn you hide it where no other member of the family can find it or there won't be anything left to serve. :) Now where is my cold beer? Hand me over that Corona will 'ya?

Happy New Year !!



Sweet Spicy Pecans

vegetable oil
3 Tbsp golden syrup or light corn syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp ground sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3.
  2. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
  3. Mix syrup, sugar, and spices in a bowl.
  4. Add pecans into it and stir to combine well.
  5. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
  6. Place large piece of foil on work surface. Lightly oil it.
  7. Bake pecans in oven for 5 minutes. Stir pecans to coat with melted spice mixture.
  8. Continue baking pecans until golden and bubbling for about 8 - 10 minutes.
  9. Remove from oven and transfer to prepared foil on the work surface.
  10. Using 2 forks, immediately separate nuts while hot. It will be hard to do this once it starts to cool down so make sure to work quickly while doing so.
  11. Cool completely.

No comments: