Tuesday 23 August 2005

Shortbread


Don't they look like barges marching straight to your mouth? :LOL: What am I thinking?

My littlest one, J3, requested for shortbread since it's one of her favourite biscuits (cookies). I haven't done any shortbread in my life except for that Millionaire's Shortbread. This is very easy to make and can be varied according to one's texture preference. I used cornstarch for a melt in the mouth feel while if you want a bit more crunch use fine semolina. That's according to Sue Lawrence from whose Book of Baking cookbook I got this recipe. Some other versions use rice flour I'm not sure what the effect of that will be. I'm thinking of putting in pinipig (pounded rice) or puffed rice for added crunch, just not sure if it's going to make it over crumbly. You will hear of any triumphs or disasters here in case I make good of my 'threat'. ;)



Shortbread

250 g  butter - softened
115 g  [scant 2/3 cups] golden caster sugar (extra fine sugar)
225 g  [heaping 1 3/4 cups] plain flour
100 g  [1/2 cup + 1/3 cup] cornflour (cornstarch) or rice flour or fine semolina
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C/fan 130°C/gas mark 2. Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy and light coloured (about 4-5 minutes).
  3. Sift in the flours into the mixture and mix by hand with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
  4. Pour into the prepared baking pan. With floured hands, press down the dough and pat level. Prick all over with fork.
  5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until evenly golden brown.
  6. Remove from oven then cut into squares or fingers. Leave to cool for about 5-10 minutes then carefully remove each cut piece onto a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: