Saturday 18 February 2006

Welsh Rarebit

Welsh Rarebit
First time I heard the name, I thought it was stewed rabbit or maybe lamb. My son (J1) thought it was frogs. :) We had no idea that it will be something very tasty and delicious and very easy to make. That's one thing I like about Brits they affix witty, oftentimes funny, names to their food. This my friends, is essentially grilled cheese on toast, as simple as that. But made several degrees more delicious with the small addition of flavourings. Sharp tasting cheddar would be best so the extra mature ones would be great and in the US, the Kraft Crackle Barrel brand comes to mind. The Canadian extra mature cheddar would be excellent as well. So far, this is the best version I've tried which is adapted from Brian Turner's Favourite British Recipes.

J1 was very wary when he saw me making it. Just when I was adding in the English mustard he declared he's not going anywhere near it. Fine I thought. Come early morning he saw me grilling these babies. He asked if the ones in the oven are plain cheese and not the welsh rarebits. I said yes (I lied). So down he scoffed one. All I heard were - hmmm ... mmm ... and something along the lines of "it's delicious". That's when I broke the news that it was actually Welsh Rarebit. He was grinning from ear to ear. See, mums have to do a lot of underhanded tactics to make their kids eat something different and I'm glad my lie did not go to waste. LOL!



Welsh Rarebit

250 g  mature cheddar - grated (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup double cream (heavy cream)
1 Tbsp beer or ale or water
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp English mustard or Dijon mustard
2 egg yolks
thick slices of wholemeal bread (or any type of bread)
  1. Heat the double cream until gently boiling.
  2. Add the beer and bring back to boil.
  3. Turn off heat; add the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and grated cheese. Blend well.
  4. Add the egg yolks and stir well until the cheese has slightly melted and mixture is soft and liquidy. You may have to return the saucepan to the cooker at very low heat.
  5. Put in a container and cool. (It is best to use this the next day to let the flavours develop).
  6. Arrange the bread slices under the grill to toast one side. Remove.
  7. Spread a generous amount of the cheese mixture on the *untoasted* side of the bread.
  8. Put back under the grill until golden and bubbling. Serve warm.

No comments: