Tuesday 18 July 2006

Scrumptious Brownies


This is the very first brownie I ever baked in my life. I found it at the back of a Baker's baking chocolate carton eons ago when I was still single and was trying hard to keep myself busy with something mildly creative. It is indeed very scrumptious and quite rich. I had to reduce the sweetness and the nuts to cater to my taste. Other than that, I don't think there's anything else to change. This goes to show the hidden gems you can find behind jars, wrappers, and boxes. As far as I know they are well tested in the kitchens of the producing companies. They may not be fancy but 95% of the time they do work. Sometimes it even gives me ideas on how and where to use the ingredient. Like the cookbook by Phil Vickery that I got free from Carnation condensed milk, it's got super delectable looking desserts ranging from cakes and cookies to ice creams and mousses. All made with condensed milk. How's that for dozens of ideas?


Scrumptious Brownies

250 g  dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa content)
1 cup butter
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
  1. Preheat oven at 190°C/fan 170°C/375°F. Grease and line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with greaseproof paper with a little overhanging the side.
  2. Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water in a saucepan.
  3. When completely melted, remove from saucepan and cool slightly.
  4. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in separate large mixer bowl on high speed for 10 minutes.
  5. Beat in melted chocolate mixture on low speed.
  6. Add flour, beating just to blend.
  7. Using a wooden spatula, stir in nuts.
  8. Spread in the prepared baking pan.
  9. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted into center comes out almost clean. *Do not* overbake!
  10. Cool in pan. Loosen sides with a butter knife then grab the extra overhanging greaseproof paper on the sides and remove the brownie from the pan. Cut into squares.

No comments: